What Do Base Ends
Stations Look Like?
There Often Mistaken
for Machine Gun Nests
Early base-end stations were
small concrete boxes without any overhead cover. The
original plans for the base-end stations at Los Angeles did
not provide for overhead cover. The base-end stations
constructed in the Los Angeles area during the 1920-1930
period were square boxes with an entrance hatch on the top
and metal observation shutters on the front and sides of the
Fire control stations were constructed during the 1920's,
1930's and 1940's for the Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles. A
few of these structures can still be found on the Upper
Reservation of Fort MacArthur, Point Fermin, White Point,
Sea Bench, Point Vicente, Long Beach, and other places.
During World War II observation towers similar to oil well
towers were built at several locations including Playa del
Rey. All of the of the pre World War II fire control
stations are in danger of being destroyed. Most of the World
War II stations have been destroyed or buried. Soon, they
may all be gone.
This is B" 6 Farley, built in 1920 and being unearthed for
an Air Force Officer's housing project at White Point. There
were six stations similar to this one at White Point. Thanks
to an agreement with the Air Force, this station will be
moved and preserved. A second 1920 era station, B"4 Merriam,
will be left buried, and the Battery Commander's Station for
the World War II 16-inch Battery Paul D. Bunker will be
preserved. A tip of the hat to the
United States Air Force for their preservation efforts.
The Sea Bench Military
Reservation contained a grouping of 1930's era fire control
stations originally constructed for Batteries Osgood-Farley,
Leary-Merriam, and Barlow-Saxton. The fire control station
for Battery Osgood is preserved in place. The remaining five
fire control stations were demolished to re-vegetate the
area for endangered wildlife .
at Sea Bench is a triple decked World War II era fire
control station associated with the 16-inch (Battery Paul D.
Bunker) at White Point, the 6-inch Battery 241 at Fort
MacArthur, (Now under the Korean Bell) and Battery 240
(Battery Harry C. Barnes) at Point Vicente. This is the only
existing triple decked fire control station left in the HDLA.
These sites were saved from
demolition by the Preservation Committee of the Fort
MacArthur Museum Association. The Association wishes to
thank all of those who participated in the preservation of
these small bits of the Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles.